Software Development Technicians are typically part of software development, their main focus is to build simple software components which are mobile, web, or desktop applications. These would be used by other members of the team for larger software development projects. Software Development Technicians are also in charge of interpreting design requirements for the discrete components of a project whilst under supervision. 

A Software Development Technician will also implement code that has been developed by team members to produce a required component, also testing that specific component making sure it meets its intended functionality. 


The Level 3 Software Development Technician equips individuals with the skills to build software components for web, mobile and desktop applications. You will learn about coding alongside system development lifecycles and methodologies. You will use your skills and experiences to support your team by producing required components, implementing code and testing components to make sure it meets the intended functionality.

Programme Highlights:

  • System Development lifecycle and Methodologies.
  • Database Design.
  • Programming languages including: HTML / JavaScript / CSS / Python.

80% of the learning will be done in the workplace with the other 20% being delivered via classroom training by our highly qualified, industry experienced Tutors.

on-the-job training

What is off-the-job training?

The 20% off-the-job training is an essential part of the apprenticeship and therefore must take place during employed time. Employers must ensure that this training equates to 20% of the apprentice’s contracted working hours.

What Examples Are There of This Kind of Training?

Off-the-job training could include the following:

  • Classroom Session / Theory or Lectures
  • Competition Participation
  • Industry Training
  • Industry Visit / Conference
  • Learning Support (i.e. reading, writing, time-management etc)
  • Mentoring
  • Reflective Account
  • Work Shadowing
  • Simulation Exercise
  • Teaching & Learning Delivery in the Workplace
  • Webinar Sessions
  • Writing Assignments

Typical Job Roles

  • Software Development Technician
  • Junior Developer
  • Junior Web Developer
  • Junior Application Developer
  • Junior Mobile App Developer
  • Junior Games Developer,
  • Junior Software Developer
  • Junior Application Support Analyst
  • Junior Programmer
  • Assistant Programmer and Automated Test Developer


Lived in the UK or EEA for the past 3 years
Spend at least 50% of their working hours in England
Working at least 30 hours per week
Not currently undertaking another apprenticeship or funded qualification
Achieve level 2 functional skills or GCSE grade A* to C (or 9 to 4) in English and maths

Can undertake an apprenticeship at the same or lower level than a qualification they already hold, if the apprenticeship will allow the employee to acquire substantive new skills

how long is an apprenticeship?

The Level 3 Software Development Technician is completed over a 15 – month period. During the 15 months you will receive monthly visits from your assigned skills coach for progress tracking, advice and guidance and preparation for End Point Assessment (EPA).

Induction and Initial Assessments

The initial assessment compromises of Maths, English and ICT tests so we know whether to offer additional support.


20 classroom sessions that are to be completed within the first 12 months of the programme. These will be delivered in 4 day blocks.

Gateway to End Point Assessment

The learner is prepared for End Point Assessment.
This will involve the learner and employer working closely with their skills coach to ensure all requirements have been met.

End Point

During the last 3 months of the programme, the learner will go through EPA. This consists of four stages:
Summative Portfolio
Synoptic Project
Employer Reference

The learner will be graded Pass, Merit or Distinction.

Why choose us


The modules will be delivered by industry experts with experience in the digital sector.



96% of our learners would recommend us to a family member or friend.


You will have regular visits and contact from your Skills Coach  to ensure you are developing your skills and knowledge.


Our team is dedicated to ensuring knowledge is relevant and up-to-date with industry changes.


info@b2wgroup.com   •   0161 474 7603

The B2W Group has a fresh approach to transforming businesses by up-skilling their current staff or bringing an apprentice into the business to add a dynamic and dedicated individual to the team. All of our courses are available through various streams of government funding so are a cost-effective way to provide high-quality training within the workplace.

Registered office in England and Wales, No:07559200
© 2020, The B2W Group, All Rights Reserved.


0161 474 7603

Floor 4,Building 4,
Universal Square,
Devonshire Street,
M12 6JH