Oliver Steele

Oliver Steele is currently working towards the completion of his Level 3 Digital Marketer Apprenticeship with The B2W Group. Wanting to enter a new industry, Oliver found that the apprenticeship route appealed to him most. It is allowing him to work his way up while being able to learn new skills.

Speaking to Oliver about his experience so far, we found out about the key knowledge he’s gained and what he’s looking forward to in the future:

Before going into the apprenticeship, what did you know about digital marketing?

Before going into the apprenticeship, I only understood digital marketing to be advertising on websites and social media. I never realised the breadth and depth of the areas which are covered by the industry. I also didn’t realise how personal the industry is, in the sense that each digital marketer can approach marketing in their own unique way. 

What new knowledge/skills have you learned?

I’ve learned a lot about the importance of understanding your audience and how harmful being irrelevant to your target customers can be. This also speaks to the importance of having a well made website which can be easily navigated and accessed by anyone. 

I also gained a deeper understanding behind the functions of targeted marketing. This is definitely something that is often overlooked and misunderstood from the perspective of a consumer. 

What responsibilities have you had since starting your apprenticeship?

For the most part I was in charge of managing 3 social media accounts. This was a round the clock job meaning I had to keep track of all the interactions with each page. Where needed, I’d respond to them in a timely and professional manner. 

I also ran ad campaigns on social media platforms for third party clients. I ensured that they were reaching the target demographics and maintaining a sufficient return on investment. Besides social media, I was able to work in content creation. This allowed me to express my creativity by pitching design choices for campaigns.

What is your biggest achievement since starting your apprenticeship?

My biggest achievement was definitely earning the confidence of my employer and being able to essentially manage myself. This was very rewarding as it meant that I had the freedom to voice my own thoughts and strategies, rather than just being handed tasks. That confidence also allowed me to learn and observe the best courses of action through practice, rather than theory. 

What are you looking forward to in the future?

In the future I look forward to being in a position where my opinion can carry weight to a company or business. For me, the goal is to have tutors reference my campaigns as examples of what to do when teaching future students, potentially shaping the landscape of marketing. 

Would you recommend an apprenticeship to others? If so, why?

I would definitely recommend apprenticeships to others. Despite the stigma associated with being an apprentice, I found that if you’re willing to put in the work and accept responsibility then you will be treated as a professional. Being able to return to work and apply lessons you learned in college is also very helpful. It allows the information to stay fresh in your mind as you put theory into practice very quickly compared to academic routes. 

Level 3 Digital Marketer Apprenticeship

Our Level 3 Digital Marketer Apprenticeship is an 18-month programme. We deliver in the North West and South Yorkshire areas.

During the apprenticeship, you will spend 20% of your working time completing off-the-job training. The remaining 80% will be in the workplace. Key knowledge learned during this apprenticeship includes SEO, social media management, campaign building, and HTML and CSS.

If you’d like to know more about our apprenticeship programme, please visit here.

Hiring an apprentice

As part of an initiative, the Government will pay businesses to hire young apprentices with a new payment of £2000 per apprentice. They will also introduce a brand new bonus for business to hire apprentices aged 25 and over with a payment of £1500.

Apprenticeships provide great benefits for employers, including bringing fresh ideas into the workplace and increasing employee retention and loyalty. If you’d like to hire an apprentice, you can find out more about how The B2W Group can help here.